ABU DHABI, 20th March, 2016 (WAM) — Complaints submitted by members of the public to the Ministry of Economy’s Consumer Protection Department surged by 22% to 18,637 in 2015 from 15,221 in the year before.
Complaints sent by consumers to the department varied from high prices of goods and products to defects and non-conforming items in cars, spare parts, electronics, mobile phones, furniture, properties and credit cards.
”Complaints about defects in cars topped the list, constituting 24% or 3,927 of the total complaints, ” according to the annual report issued by the department. It noted that the second quarter of the year saw the highest number of complaints, accounting for 5,296 or 28.5% of the total complaints received throughout the year.
Dr. Hashim Al Nuaimi, Director of the Consumer Protection Department, said that 95% of complaints had been settled amicably while the remaining 5% had been referred to courts.
”The Department has been receiving increasing number of complaints over the years thanks to consumers practicing their rights due to the success of nationwide campaigns conducted at both federal and emirates level to advise and raise awareness of consumers and protect their rights,” he added.